My garden is better this year than it has been at any point in the past. Here is a summary:
1. Lettuce: I’ve been harvesting lettuce for a while now. We don’t eat that much of it but I keep it growing for when we need it.
2. Radishes: We all like radishes in this house. I’ve been able to harvest a few times now. Surprisingly the most recent plantings have been the biggest ones. They have grown to golfball size.
3. Peas: I had put in sugar snap peas. We ate a few good meals off of them. I picked the last of them and pulled the plants last weekend. Next year I want to do it again but maybe try a different variety. I also need a better trellis for them next year.
4. Beans: I planted a mixture of yellow, purple, and green beans. They are growing in really well. We have eaten many decent meals from them and have a few more to come. My boys love them and are excited to help me pick them. They even planted a few plants of their own.
5. Tomatoes: So far this year I have picked 6 baby orange tomatoes. We are all looking forward to the tomatoes to come.
6. Herbs: Chives, mint, basil, chives, and lemon balm. Last year I planted lemon balm and let it go to seed. This year it is coming in like a weed. It tastes delicious when I throw it in with a salad. I want to try doing a lemon balm pesto for pasta soon.
1. Rhubarb: I have one plant growing that is doing really well. Hopefully next year it comes in well enough that we can get a few pies from it. Yum.
2. Cucumbers: I have 2 cucumber plants growing but I got them in late so we will see how they do.
3. Green Pepper: I got one plant in and it has one pepper on it. I hope it’s delicious.
4. Carrots: I have a few rows of carrots in. I hope that they end up tasting good when I finally do pick them.
5. Onions: I planted 2 different varieties of onions this year. Far to many of the plants didn’t make it. I know that there is a gopher living in the garden and I think that he ate most of them. There are 6 onions that I planted that were growing in our pantry. Right now they have tops growing with blooms coming in. I have gotten a few compliments on the pretty “flowers”!
6. Zucchini: My boys planted a single zucchini seed that is growing. I hope to get at least a few off of the stems.
1. Blackeyed Susans: I planted these a few years ago and they are doing fantastically. Next spring I want to dig some up and transplant them. They are getting super thick.
2. Bachelors buttons: My mom gave me these a few years ago. They keep growing and blooming but…. I don’t like how they get all floppy. I think that next spring I will transplant them somewhere else and put something else there next year.
3. Peonies: I have some beautiful peonies and planted one new plant this year. Hopefully next year it will be big enough to bloom.
4. Purple Clematis: Another one that I have had for quite a while this year I gave it a bigger trellis, it is currently full of nice big blooms.
5. Succulents: I planted a variety of succulents over the last couple of years. They are doing wonderful this year and are nice and big.
6. Marigolds: These got planted to thickly but are growing nice and bushy and big. Their flowers are so nice and bright. Definitely planting more of these next year.